• Weddings in Sorrento

    The best frame for your dream wedding in Italy. Choose your location

  • Getting married in Sorrento

    Need a concrete help to plan and organize your wedding? Ask us more!

  • The best suppliers in town

  • Sorrento, Capri, Massa Lubrense...

    ...Positano, Vico Equense, Piano di Sorrento, S.Agata sui due Golfi, Meta, S.Agnello...


Wedding Guide

Hot links

Getting married, documents for the wedding - Sorrento Wedding Guide

Marrige of British Nationals in Italy

The following information is provided as a general guideline for persons wishing to get married in Italy. Since the procedures vary from city hall to city hall, we suggest to call the Vital Statistics Office (Ufficio Stato Civile) of the City Hall where you plan to marry since they may not all be necessary.

Important new procedures for British Nationals resident in the UK marrying in Italy were introduced on 1 March 2013.
Please visit this link for specific details as where you reside and the citizenship of your future spouse determine the exact process: www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad.

Here's a standard procedure where both parties to the marriage are British nationals

Step 1.
Contact the local comune (town hall) before making any plans to find out about local marriage laws, including what documents you'll need.

Step 2.
You'll need to get a certificate of no impediment (CNI) from the authorities in the UK to prove you're allowed to marry.
Your partner will need to follow the same process to get their own CNI.
You can normally get a CNI by giving a notice of marriage at your local register office or registrar in the UK.
A CNI issued in England, Wales or Northern Ireland is valid for 6 months. A CNI issued in Scotland is valid for 3 months.
They'll post your notice, and as long as nobody has registered an objection after 7 days, they'll issue your CNI.

Step 3. Getting a statutory declaration
While you're waiting for your CNI, you and your partner will need to make a statutory declaration before a solicitor or public notary. The Italian authorities will need this in addition to your CNI. On www.gov.uk there's a standard template in English and Italian that you can download and use.
Step 4. Legalisation and translation
You'll need to get your statutory declaration and CNI 'legalised' (certified as genuine) by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO).
You'll also need to get your CNI translated and sworn before the Italian courts or an Italian Justice of the Peace.

Pay attention: The names on all documents you provide must appear exactly as they do on your passports - if not, the authorities may refuse to allow the marriage to go ahead. You may need to provide evidence if the name on your passport is different to your birth certificate (eg marriage certificate or deed poll).


(Last Updated: Sept 25, 2014)